[nabs-l] mac help

Ignasi Cambra ignasicambra at gmail.com
Fri Oct 8 06:20:25 UTC 2010

Hello,
Microsoft hasn't made the Office suite accessible on the mac, and doesn't seem to want to make it accessible anytime soon. I have tried a couple of betas of Office 2011 for mac and it is still unusable for VoiceOver users. Several people have expressed concerns to Microsoft's accessibility department but for now, they don't seem to care. Depending on how much formatting you need to do, you can use Textedit, the built-in text processing application in Mac OS X. If you need to do more complex stuff, you can use a great text processor called Nisus writer (which you will have to buy...it's not expensive though) or you can also try Apple's own iWork productivity suite which is accessible. Pages, the text processing application that comes with iWork, is fully accessible and can do everything Word can do with no problems. Of course, Textedit, Nisus and Pages are compatible with Microsoft Office format. Please let me know if you need more help.

IC