[nabs-l] bibliography and work cite information

Cindy Bennett clb5590 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 9 02:42:03 UTC 2010

It definitely depends on the level of assignments you are doing, but
once you get into your higher level major classes, citations are
something that won't go away.

Some other people were good at bringing up that there is more than one
way to site things. Typically English classes prefer MLA while more
scientific classes prefer APA. There are some others such as Chicago,
although i have only had to do that for 1 class, but there are others
out there. Although there are a lot of wonderful websites, nothing is
better in my opinion than purchasing, and continuing to purchase the
most updated citation book. There are some websites that contain edit
boxes for all of the information needed to cite things such as books
and websites, but i guess i am too paranoid that they will format them
a little off, and it would be difficult for me to detect this. Also,
websites rarely have forms for unusual citations such as interviews,
or they won't have enough author boxes, etc. If you use APA style and
you need help citing journal articles and websites and need the
general rules for the layout of the paper, i'd definitel love to help
you off list.

I really like to be independent, but sometimes microsoft word does
some crazy things even when you don't tell it to. So, especially if it
is a super important paper, it is never a bad idea to show it to your
professor or a friend or reader beforehand to make sure. To minimize
this, i refrain from doing any formatting until the paper is complete.
This way, if i start typing after a title or something, i don't have
to wonder if microsoft word is continuing to type in italics or
something.

It is definitely ok to have a sighted person look at your paper just
to make sure everything looks right. But i had an experience last year
where my professor told me that a bunch of stuff ended up in
superscript or something after i had changed 1 number to superscript,
so it does happen, and hopefully your professor will understand that
if you are trying, little mistakes like that won't be reflected in
your grade.

Citing is annoying, but once you get the hang of it, you can do it in
your sleep.

This is a great question for anyone, but are there any braille
citation guides? I feel like an audio book on citation would be
annoying. I could recognized bolded and and capitals and periods and
parentheses so much faster if i could read it in braille, but i have
yet to find such a manual, so now i just get a reader to leaf through
my print APA guide, and i then write down how to cite whatever it is i
am looking for and keep it for reference.

I hope that helps.

Cindy