[nabs-l] Note takers

Courtney Stover liamskitten at gmail.com
Thu Oct 21 20:52:43 UTC 2010

Hi:

I am rather unconventional; I use a Lap Top with Jaws.  Even with the
money you pay out for Jaws (close to nine hundred dollars now) and the
three or four hundred you shell out for the computer, you're still
better off than you would be if you bought a five thousand dollar
notetaker.  This is especially true if you're on a fixed income.

The only drawback to this combination is that it doesn't have a
Braille display immediately available.  Speaking for myself alone, I
acclimated swiftly to auditory learning.  However, if you aren't a
good auditory learner, you can always purchase a braille display from
somewhere like Freedom Scientific later for about $2500 which still
leaves you better off than you would be with a conventional blindness
solution *smile*

Just my two cents,
Courtney