[nabs-l] Braille Wizard

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Wed Sep 15 18:37:05 UTC 2010

Sarah,

There are at least two reasons not to be overly concerned about the use of Android for this purpose.  First, when a specialized device like this is developed,
it deals with accessibility within the software on the device itself.  For example, even though Windows is accessible, Kurzweil 1000 contains its own
accessibility in that you don't need a screen reader to use it.  This is a little different than the situation that we have with mobil phones where we use a
screen reader like Mobile Speak but depend upon the applications to be accessible.

The second reason is that there is pretty good indications that Android will be at least more accessible in a year than it is now.  There are different schools of
thought on all this, but some would say that building a product on an operating system that is accessible but problematic is going to be more unstable than
handling the accessibility within the specialized software.  There are advantages and disadvantages to both approaches, but I believe it is fair to say that
Android not being that accessible right now won't impact the Braille Wizzard in the long run.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson

On Wed, 15 Sep 2010 09:35:16 -0700, Sarah Alawami wrote:

>I don't know. why would theyuse an os that is not accessible. I mean look what happened the droid. YOU need sighted assistance to start the
screenereader? No!