[nabs-l] bus driver frustrations

Kirt Manwaring kirt.crazydude at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 06:28:21 UTC 2011

Homberto,
  One thing I always do is sit in the very front of the bus, or as
close to it as I can.  That way it's easier to talk to the
driver...although, if he's being an ass, I guess that doesn't make
much of a difference.  (or, rather, if he/she is being an ass.   I
gotta be politically correct.  Wouldn't want to offend anyone.)  If
you were farther back it's possible the driver couldn't hear
you...although he still definitely should've told you the bus number
regardless.  The only advice I can give is to make sure you ask the
people on the bus to help you out if the driver's being an idiot.
And, if you're dealing with a bad driver, don't be afraid to file a
report with the bus company.  Sometimes they take things like that
seriously...and, even if they don't, it's good to let them know.
  And remember most bus drivers are pretty ok.  Don't let one crappy
experience ruin it for you...just cause there's a bad apple in a bag
it doesn't mean you throw all of them out.  Keep riding, don't be
afraid to ask strangers to help if you need to...and always remember
that, if all else fails, parents or friends can help bail you out of a
really tight spot.  And there's always a cab, or if you miss your stop
it's not really difficult to catch a bus going back the other way.
Annoying as heck, but doable if you really have to...and it's ok to
ask for help finding the bus stop or whatever, especially in a place
you don't really know all that well.  So...basically, if you miss your
stop for whatever reason, it's not the end of the world.  You can ask
directions, or maybe even ask someone to help you find the nearest bus
stop to catch a bus going back the way you came if you feel like you
need to.  (and, I'm pretty sure lots of really independent travelers
ask for that kind of help, particularly in areas they aren't really
familiar with)
  Anyways, sorry for the rambling.  Happy riding!
  Take care,
Kirt