[nabs-l] technology question

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Sun Apr 24 17:14:54 UTC 2011

Sean:

I'm not saying scanners have no place.  For my taste, OCr software *still*
isn't sufficiently accurate to satisfy me.  But that's my personal
preference.  Likewise, I think we have to distinguish what type of material
we're dealing with:  scanning works far better for literary material than it
does for texts in the hard sciences although this is slowly changing.

Moreover, either in this post or another, you wrote of having DSS offices do
some scanning.  Frankly, there were no such things when I went to college
and had there been DSS offices then, I'd have stayed as far away from them
as I could and would do so now were I to go back to school.

Electronic searches are fine if you know more-or-less exactly what you're
looking for.  But there's no substitute for human intelligence and the
ability to get the gist of what's on a page either by eye or by touch.  And
yes, I know about skim-reading.

But basically what I'm talking about is not the occasional scan but when
students spend *hours* ripping apart books and scanning them -- hours that
could have been better spent studying something else, especially when ten
minutes with a reader could elicit the required material.

In this connection, it might be instructive to go back and read Peggy
Elliott's Monitor articles about efficient use of readers.

Bottom line is that the best solution is to use the techniques that work the
best for you.  But sometimes, just as when people try to make us use sight
we don't have, we ourselves fall into ruts and don't use all technologies or
resources (including readers) to best advantage.

Cheers!

Mike