[nabs-l] If the World Went Sighted..

Chris Nusbaum dotkid.nusbaum at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 20:50:04 UTC 2011

Hi, Bernedeta.

Thank you very much for your kind words!! I understand your point
and agree with most of it.  Yes, our technology as well as their
power wheelchairs are very expensive, but we can't live without
them.  So let's use another example here that I meant to use in
the post but forgot to.  For a long time, any steps or curbs have
presented a huge accessibility problem for wheelchair users.  For
us, the only real accessibility barriers in our independent
travel are quiet cars (although the Pedestrian Safety Enhancement
Act, aka the Quiet Car Law was passed) and people who don't let
guide dogs into public places, even though that law was passed.
Also, my point about deaf people wasn't that they can't
communicate, they very well can (i.e.  Helen Keller, hint hint.)
But there's only a select group of people who know sign language.
For the rest of the world, sign language just looks like a bunch
of meaningless hand gestures.  Sight has no effect on
communication, although some sighted people think it does because
as you said, they think eye contact's * really * important.
Guess they'll have to get used to it, lol! I do understand what
you're saying, though.  Thanks for the input!

Chris Nusbaum