[nabs-l] Carol Center for the Blind?

Justin Young jty727 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 13 18:29:42 UTC 2011

Hi David,

No problem.  I did three different programs.  In the Summer of 2006 I
did the Youth In Transition(YIT) program which is heavily focused upon
daily living skills.  There were classes from 8:45-3pm Mon-Fri.  Then
there was activities that you did clubs and stuff like that.  Some
were fun and some not really.  You have the opportunity to do fencing,
and other evening activities.  Some of the evening ones were more
arts/crafts style if I recall.  Its hard to say with the
extracurriculars cuz they changed ever year.  The ones whichwere the
same were Fencing, Sailing, shopping and others which I forget.  The
next Summer I did the Real World of Work Experience Program(RWWE)
which was 5 weeks where the first week is doing the classes to make
sure you can do all of it because like laundry you had to wait until
after classes were over or on weekends as well.  Once you begin
working its great I must say.  When I did it they selected a place for
you and you were on the job site for Mon, Wed, Fri and Tues & Thu you
went on Field Trips.  Oh yes I forgot about those we went on those as
well in YIT.  They were to fun places, movies, golfing & stuff like
that.  For the RWWE program though on Thursdays we went on Work
related field trips.  Like once we went to the State House in Boston
and tried to go to Cape Cod, but the van I was in broke down so
couldn't do that one.  There were still the activities in the
afternoon and evening.  I didn't really do the ones in the afternoon
because I got back from work to late always.  I worked at the Newton
Welseley Hospital in the Receiving Department which was fun after I
got a hand of what I was doing, the layout of the place and confidence
that I could do it all.  I delivered to depts mainly.  For my Final
Summer I and 4 others were involved in the pilot program of Transition
To College(TTC) in the Summer of 2008.  This program was 4 weeks where
we did 2 at the Carroll Center like the YIT program and 2 at Boston
College.  The 2 weeks of the classes is to ensure we could do it while
at BC.  There was also a 2 week period before the program started for
all in the program to do the Computing to College which is a computer
program based in the Technology Center at the Carroll Center.  I
couldn't do this portion because I was finishing High School.  While
at BC we attended various seminars during the day and after I think
3pm it was we were free to do whatever we liked.  We stayed in a dorm
which was a suite style and had a supervisor in one of the 5 rooms
with us.  We were given each day $15 for food and had to give the
supervisor all receipts of what we spent.  We definitely got our
exercise because our dorm was about a mile from the Education Building
where our seminars took place.  We went on a field trip or two I don't
remember.  I remember we went to either Boston University or one of
the UMass schools.  I and a few of the others in the program took the
train to go places once or twice and a coffee shop was right on the
edge of the college and not far from our dorm.  So, I went there
sometimes.

It was a great three years full of making friends.  The cons you
asked?  Hmm, well it really depends upon how you look at which program
you are in.  I would say that sometimes you were forced to do things
you didn't really want to do which is why I really liked the BC
living.  I hope this helps you.

Justin