[nabs-l] Sad news, from my DSO

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Sun Aug 28 05:08:52 UTC 2011

Josh,

You have gotten other comments on this already, but National Braille Press is not really a source for textbooks.  They
have some, but that isn't their strong point.  The American Printing House has a database that can be searched which
includes books being transcribed by volunteers and agencies around the country.  You need to check that out.  Your
DSO person should know all this, but I understand they work with many different disabilities.

Please know that if you find the book, it often works to use a different edition that is being used by your class.  The
differences between editions are usually very small.  I used a Calculus book in braille that was the fourth edition while
my class used the Fifth Edition.  I never found what was different through an entire four quarter course.

There are agencies that will try to braille books for you.  The problem is that they can't do it overnight.  You need to be
checking this out a month or two before starting your class.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson