[nabs-l] GRE

Spangler, Robert Robert.Spangler at rockets.utoledo.edu
Wed Dec 21 18:56:15 UTC 2011

Hello all,

I am thinking of applying for graduate school when I return from my trip in Spain next year.  Many graduate programs do not require GRE scores but it seems as though the better ones do.  First, what are your opinions; is a program generally of higher quality if it requires GRE scores?  I have actually seen several programs that look pretty good that do not require GRE scores.  I have also noticed that some of the best schools in the country, such as OSU and UW require GRE scores.

Next, what are your experiences as blind people taking the GRE?  IT appears as though, if one requires special accommodations, they are unable to register for the test online.  Also, the GRE is computer-based; would we take that version or a modified version of the paper copy?  In the bulletin, it recommends first that I ask the prospective institution if I can submit something else in place of GRE scores; what are opinions on this?

Thanks,
Robby
--
Robert Spangler