[nabs-l] LWSB and Other Training Centers

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 24 15:51:12 UTC 2011

Hi all,
I have not attended LWSB in Arkansas, but havve heard some things
about it from a few graduates. So, someone please correct me if
anything I say about the center is incorrect, as I would like to learn
more and b able to give people accurate information.
Based on what I have heard from graduates, my impression is that
LWSB/World Services for the Blind is a center that specializes in
technical training for some specific types of jobs, like being an IRS
collector or a small engine repair person. This kind of training is
important, but it is not the same thing as the kind of comprehensive
blindness skill training provided at NFB centers. While LWSB/World
Services does provide training in blindness skills as well, my
impression is that this general training is much less beneficial than
the general skills training provided at NFB centers, and other centers
that house students in apartments. While I can't comment on LWSB's
philosophy, I do know that LWSB houses students in dormitories and
that they dine in a cafeteria. In my opinion this kind of living
environment is not very helpful for teaching blindness skills. Skills
need to be practiced in order to be mastered, and apartment living
affords opportunities to practice cooking, cleaning and other skills
in a variety of real-world situations. Apartment living also affords
opportunities to build confidence. Furthermore, I am not sure how much
LWSB students are allowed or encouraged to travel off center premises
on their own or in groups. This kind of real-world travel is an
essential part of the training experience at NFB centers.
So, I believe that if you are looking for technical training in a
specific job field, LWSB/World Services might be an option worth
considering. However, if you are looking for basic training in travel,
home management, computers and Braille, or just want to build your
overall confidence and independent functioning, I would highly
recommend looking for a center that houses students in apartments and
that allows students to get out and travel on their own during free
time. If you have some vision but suspect you may eventually need to
function with less or no sight, then picking a center that uses
sleepshades may also be a priority. The NFB centers all meet these
criteria, but there are also some state-run and private centers that
do. So do your homework and ask about these things before making your
choice.
I make these suggestions based on my own experience at an NFB center,
LCB, and based on conversations I have had with dozens of graduates
from various kinds of training centers. I would be happy to talk
further by email or phone (see contact info below) if you have more
specific questions.
Best,
Arielle Silverman, Past NABS President and Board Member
602-502-2255
arielle71 at gmail.com