[nabs-l] GRE

Alexander Castillo alexandera.castillo at gmail.com
Tue Dec 27 18:18:00 UTC 2011

Hello Robbie, in terms of which schools require GRE exams and which
schools do not,  is a matter of researching the particular program
which you will be applying to. I personally do not think that GRE
scores are required only at better institutions, rather, it depends on
the particular program. For example, NYU's MA program in mental health
counseling does not require GRE scores. But there are other schools,
which may not be as well known which do. NYU has a pretty good
program.... So it all depends on what you want to do. If you know
exactly where you want to do your graduate work, and you know it does
not require GRE scores, than there would be no need for you to take
the test.

I would not recommend submitting something other than the GRE if it is
required, sso if your program requires it, simply prepare for the exam
and take it. I have come across more graduate programs which require
it, so it is a wise choice to take the exam if you are not sure where
you are headed for graduate work.

The GRE has changed and you should know that right now, the accessible
voiced GRE is not the newer version of the exam. So when you make the
choice for your accommodations, make sure you note that if you choose
the accessible exam, you will need to have study material for the
older GRE test and not the new one. The practice software for the
voiced GRE from what I know, only runs on Windows XP machines.

Make sure you give yourself enough time to prep for the exam, and also
enough time to make all accommodations, as this is not an overnight
process, and you want to feel comforttable with the test taking
experience.

Thanks for reading,
Alex