[nabs-l] integration question

Joseph C. Lininger jbahm at pcdesk.net
Wed Feb 2 08:14:54 UTC 2011

Min,
To answer your first question, there are formulas which you can use to
evaluate these integrals if you are doing so over a definite interval. I
don't remember them off the top of my head, but I know there are five of
them you are likely to encounter. They are: left rectangle, mid
rectangle, right rectangle, Trapezoidal, and simptson's rule. Each has a
formula you can use, as well as an equation for determining the amount
of error. Simpson's rule is the most accurate, but it requires
computation of a fourth derivative in order to determine the error so it
isn't always practical. Anyway, if you know those formulas, you can use
the method. The left, mid, and right rectangle are easy because it's the
Remon sum equation, with slight variations for each of the three. The
other two, Trapezoidal and simpson's rule, you'll just have to memorize
those if you choose to use them. You'll also have to know the equation
for error in approximation for each method.

To answer your second question, if you choose to go on in mathematics,
and you are going to use a computer to read and write your math, I
suggest you take up the LaTeX type setting system. This will do two
things for you. First, it will allow you to generate accessible math
which you can both read and work on. Second, you can use LaTeX source to
generate something which a teacher, professor, or coleague will find
readable and which uses the symbols which are used in the field. The
trouble with using word is that if you try to generate things so they
look the same as what a sighted person would expect to see, more than
likely your screen reader will not read it correctly for you any more.

Joe