[nabs-l] Reasoning behind survey

darrel kirby dkirby at mchsi.com
Fri Feb 4 14:16:47 UTC 2011

Hello List,

I would like to put in my two cents.
Firstly, if one is doing research, it is appropriate to limit the
information the participant has about the study so that provided information
does not bias the data. The researcher is trying his or her best to not harm
the participant through questioning, but maintain validity.

Secondly, much of research is used to actually demonstrate that some things
are not what we might think. It just might be the case that this researcher
is working from the hypothesis that blind youth know just as much about sex
as sighted youth. Either way, it does not hurt having more empirical
evidence to support either hypothesis.

Thirdly, I, from a personal curiosity, am curious if blind youth have
differing opinions of sex. I have met blind people who I have felt were
shelterd or "protected" by parents, teachers, and peers. I want to know if
the sheltering has had an impact on the knowledge blind youth have received
about sex education. I think many of us have experienced, first hand, the
misconception that blind people are non-sexual beings. I think we all know
that this is not true. This misconception, however, might cause parents or
our educational system, or even young sighted peers from filling the blind
youth in on the truth of sex.  Let's give the research a chance.

Just my opinion - like belly-buttons, we've all got one,

Darrel Kirby