[nabs-l] Technology on your campus

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 8 17:31:50 UTC 2011

Ashley,

I attend the University of Nebraska in Omaha.  The Disability Services
Office here provides JAWS 9.0 on several computers on campus including
one in the library, and these computers also have Zoom Text.  They have
the ability to scan textbooks and format them in an accessible document.
They also contact publishers and RFBD to find the material I need each
semester.

They can provide Braille material, but they outsource for this.

I do a lot of stuff on my own though.  I know they provide other
services but I am not sure what that all entails.

The DSO will let me know if books are available through Book Share, but
I have my own Book Share membership so I download copies on my own to my
laptop.  I also use my Netbook for classes so the only time I use a
campus computer is when I take test since I usually go through the
Testing Center.

We also have a Network for Disability Awareness which is a division of
student government, and I work in this office.  We have our own computer
lab with an accessible computer along with an accessible
scanner/magnification product.

Again, all my actual technology-- computer, note taker, book reader--
are mine.  Really the only thing I rely on the DSO for is my books.  I
do a lot of scanning on my own too since I have the ability at home, and
I am a control freak!  LOL

Bridgit

Message: 13