[nabs-l] volunteering for the public

bookwormahb at earthlink.net bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 28 05:18:14 UTC 2011

Hi all,
I thought I’d ask here as well because this list has more subscribers.
I want to volunteer to gain experience for my resume and hopefully use some skills I will use on a job when I am employed.
I have a BA but getting a job is hard in this economy.

I like outreach and helping people. Therefore I want to serve the public.
I am thinking at the Smithsonian museums perhaps or another museum, another tourist attraction, or maybe even the White House visitors’ center.
But I cannot find the link for the white house information. So if anyone has it, let me know.

I want to have communication with the public in person and on the phone.
I want to also do other communications work such as writing press releases, press letters, newsletters and brochures.

What volunteer experiences have you had doing these sort of things?
What were your duties? How can you handle things like greeting guests or papers if you work at a front desk?
I don’t think there is a perfect secure way to handle people in terms of having them sign in and telling me certain info. I am concerned that they could slip by me without my notice. I have tunnel vision.
Often desk staff have to see people and say “can I help you?” or something.  I’m not sure how I can modify this so I can do it.
Of course I may not be at the front desk; but many positions have you assist at the front desk, I’m sure.

Thanks.

Ashley