[nabs-l] switching majors?

Anita Adkins aadkins7 at verizon.net
Fri Jan 7 14:40:35 UTC 2011

Hi,

What I think is that I would get a major in what I was interested in and not
let challenges keep me from it. Sorry if that sounds harsh because I don't
mean for it to be, but in a career, such challenges will come up, and one
must figure out a way to solve or get around the challenges. A reader may
make the class accessible for you and maybe you could have someone who could
use a raised line drawing board to draw replicas of what the screen looks
like so you could have a mental picture of it. A scribe could insert data
where you wished. In a class I just had, I had to do this. I had to create a
brochure that had to look just right. To figure out how it should go and
what should go where, I simply had my instructor show me a physical example
and exactly where things should go. It was a computer class, and so my
skills required me to use Word and its templates to create this brochure. To
reach various sections, I had to use the JAWS cursor to move to text on
which I could then select and paste appropriate information. During another
semester, When I took my editing and production class, I had the instructor
for the class put tape where the pictures were in the sample copy of the
magazine the students were looking at so I could flip through the book and
feel how, how much, and how many pictures were on the page. So if your
future career is computers, think up ways to make it work. I remember those
books which were called something like A Ten Minute Guide to Windows 95 that
actually had raised diagrams in them. I think they kept updating those.
Anyway, the diagrams you have someone help you create might be a cheaper,
but still effective version of this. Also, try to get in touch with an
experienced, blind computer programmer or computer computer mechanic or
whatever and tell them what the class is, its requirements, and ask for
their suggestions on how to solve the problem. What I am saying is don't
give up just because a challenge pops up. Figure out sollutions; if you do
so, you will have excellent skills to put on a resume and you will also have
an excellent refference when you apply for a job somewhere in the future.
Anita