[nabs-l] Kindle software accessibility

Lindsay Yazzolino lindsay3.14 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 18:37:20 UTC 2011

Hello,

I apologize in advance for the cross-posting, but I recently
downloaded the Kindle software for Windows with the accessibility
plugin, and am wondering if anyone here has had any experience using
it. In the short time that I've spent playing with it, I have found
navigation commands to be somewhat cumbersome and inefficient. For
example, each time I jump between sentences, I must enter the "read"
command in order for the software to actually speak what is under the
cursor. Also, I haven't found any commands for quickly jumping to a
specific chapter, section, etc., and find the overall interface to be
somewhat confining as far as navigation is concerned. I need to obtain
several books for classes which are only available in Kindle and
Audible.com formats, and though Kindle is certainly the least
expensive of the two, I'm not willing to spend more money on Kindle
books  if the software is not fully accessible. I do not yet have an
audible.com account, but know a number of blind people who use the
service seemingly without problem. Am I correct in my assessment of
Kindle accessibility, or is there anything I'm missing? Thanks in
advance for any input.

Lindsay