[nabs-l] rights as blind students and responsibilities ofuniversities

bookwormahb at earthlink.net bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 12 01:17:00 UTC 2011

Anjelina,
There are some similar issues at Nova, northern Virginia community college;
I started a writing certificate there and ran into access issues. While the
site for grades, transcripts, etc wasn't inaccessible, I'd say it wasn't
very screen reader friendly.

I complained about inaccessible stuff on the website like unlabeled
graphics. I also requested an update to jaws in the library.
I haven't seen much change; not to mention several violations of ADA to the
environment for those with physical disabilities; all doors should be wide
enough for wheel chairs and they need more push buttons for doors.

Yes its reasonable to request jaws.  Its about the same access; all other
students have the access to computers on campus and you should have access
to at least some of them. Your tuition covers technology access.

I'd make a written complaint if I were you and go up the chain of command.
Mention in your complaint about how schools need to comply with section 508
regulations.  I assume your school receives federal support and if they do,
they are bound by civil rights laws like ADA and section 508 of the rehab
act.

Ashley