[nabs-l] Proxy Voting

Kirt Manwaring kirt.crazydude at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 21:05:48 UTC 2011

Arielle,
  As I've said before, I'm totally in favor of leaving the
constitution as it stands right now.  But I do have one question.  If
we were to set up a secure stream, and a reasonably failsafe method of
paying dues online and allowing due-paying members who aren't at
convention the chance to vote on the internet, would that be
considered a "proxie vote?"  Since they would be the ones doing the
voting, with no intermediate proxie, couldn't it be argued that such a
procedure isn't in violation of the constitution?  After all, the NFB
constitution  doesn't explicitly state that you *must* be present at
convention to vote, does it?  It just says there will be no proxie
votes. In other words, you have to cast your own vote. Am I right?
So, if someone could attend the meeting over the internet, and the
voting method was reasonably secure, couldn't you make the case that
isn't violating our national constitution?  After all, they aren't
using a proxie voter at all.
  As I said, I'm personally against such an idea.  But it's something
to think about.
  Best,
Kirt