[nabs-l] [Nfbnet-members-list] Threw Our Eyes interview, Ride into History, Race for Independence, Wed. June 22, 8:00 pm EDT

Kirt Manwaring kirt.crazydude at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 03:29:37 UTC 2011

Joseph,
  Even while reading braille at 300 words per minute (which is kind of
rare but not un heard of), sighted people can still glance at the page
and find what they want faster than we can.  And even for those of us
who have the time to train our palms to be as sensitive as our
fingertips (I'd wager not many of us do-there's a life to live, even
as a college student), I'd give the edge in efficiency to a sighted
person who can quickly glance at the information as opposed to feeling
for it with our fingers.  Don't get me wrong; I love braille.  One of
the reasons I'm really considering going to a center is so I can
become one of those lightning-fast braille readers.  But even then,
being able to glance at the page without having to feel it is faster,
I would think.
  There is, I think, a pertanent point to be made here.  When you have
to read through something without skimming, I actually think those of
us who speed jaws up to a billion words per minute and can comprehend
what we listen to have an advantage over our sighted peers.  I know
there have been plenty of times I've whipped out my headphones and
gone through in a half an hour to 45 minutes reading the same material
that takes most people an hour to an hour and a half.  But, that said,
lots of things do take longer for us.  I *needed* those time
extentions on my AP tests and ACT tests because those dang graphs and
maps were hard enough to feel with my fingertips, let alone my palms!
And, since I'm not one of those blazing fast braille readers, I had to
make due with my 145 to 150 words per minute-plus I had to go back and
look at my essay for any braille translation errors/extra braille keys
pushed in the speed of the moment.  That's something sighted people,
writing their essays by hand, don't have to worry about...and it takes
longer!  It just does.
  And yeah, lots of the students I know who are taking classes don't
work.  Take my roommates for example-a pretty much random sample of
boys attending Brigham Young University who all kind of got thrown
together.  Me and two of my roommates had jobs, three did not.  I had
to quit my job because I wanted a life outside of class, one of my
roommates told me many times he would probably have quit, or not even
taken the job in the first place, were it not a family friend that
hired him.  So out of the six of us, I was one of the 50 percent that
tried my hand at working a job my freshman year.  I'm pretty sure I
won't try again-making friends and living life is as important to me
as devoting myself to my education.  If I were to get a job, it's no
exhageration to say I'd have only a little bit of a chance to get
involved on campus and make friends-I'm not willing to give that up
unless I absolutely have to.
  Anyways, we've talked circles around each other for too long, I
think.  I respect your points and best of luck, my friend.
  Best,
Kirt