[nabs-l] [Nfbnet-members-list] Threw Our Eyes interview, Ride into History, Race for Independence, Wed. June 22, 8:00 pm EDT

T. Joseph Carter carter.tjoseph at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 08:40:25 UTC 2011

That’s fine Carly, and you certainly have a right to make whatever
choice you want.  My objection is to the claim that there is no
choice, that a blind person cannot work while in school, or that the
techniques we use are necessarily going to take us longer.

None of those things are necessarily true.  We like to tell ourselves
that we have no choice because it makes us feel better about a choice
we’ve made.  The problem is, sighted people keep telling us the same
thing based upon their false perceptions of our abilities.  That’s
just not something I can leave unchallenged.

Otherwise, I wouldn’t much care what people tell themselves to keep
from second-guessing the choices they’ve made.  I’ve told myself all
kinds of interesting things over the years for much the same reason.

These days, I try to be a little more directly honest with myself.  I
have a few questions to ask myself: Did I act with honor and
integrity in making my choice, based on what I knew at the time?  And
did I consider everything available at the time before making that
choice?  Did I give the issue appropriate consideration?

If I can answer yes to all three, I can simply tell myself that I
made my choice, and it was the best one I could have made at the
time.  There’s no point in second-guessing myself.  I can make new
choices going forward, but there’s no sense in looking backward.

I think this is as far as I should go on this topic on-list, though,
since we’re leaving the topic of blindness behind at this point in a
very long thread on a listserv that’s been very active lately.

Joseph