[nabs-l] Jobs held by blind students

Kirt Manwaring kirt.crazydude at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 14:56:19 UTC 2011

Honberto,
  With respct, i think you're looking at the question all wrong.
Instead of asking "what summer jobs can blind students do?", I think
it's better to ask "what kind of job do I want to do?"  I've already
kind of given the run-down on summer jobs I've done, but really it's
all about what sort of summer job you want to pursue.  Of course
summer jobs aren't careers and most people who do them get stuck doing
things they rather wouldn't.  I was kind of lucky that way; every
summer job I've had was pretty fulfilling for me.
  It pays to know people.  I landed one of my jobs because my TVI knew
I was pretty good with technology, and the school district was doing
like a blind summer school.  So really, you havee pretty much every
option you want.  You want to fund raise for your campus or work at
the campus disability center?  Do something with computers, maybe
teach them to blind students if there is that kind of opportunity?
Work at a call center?  Find out what local jobs are available, and
put in an application.  But, above all, don't think being blind means
you can only work certain kinds of jobs, or means you shouldn't have
to work if you really want to.
  Best of luck,
Kirt