[nabs-l] skimming

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 16 20:46:36 UTC 2011

Antonio,

I agree with you.  Skimming truly is an essential skill college students
should learn.  In fact, in most classes teaching study skills, skimming
is one of the topics broached.

I maintain a high GPA and practice skimming on a daily basis.  Yes, some
material you will want to read cover-to-cover, but not everything
especially in classes that are textbook based versus literature based
reading.

And when researching for papers and projects, you can not read each word
of each document you come across.

Finding a reliable way to skim will help students especially as they
progress through college.

And I completely agree about the comment with grad school.  Your reading
load is often extremely heavy-- almost inhuman.  *smile*  It is not even
expected for students to read an entire book or document most times.

You must do what works best for you, and what you are comfortable with,
but skimming, for many, is a crucial skill.

I understand the frustration of how different groups like RFBD format
each book.  Some have great formatting that allows for easy navigation,
but many do not.  If you use a Victor Stream (or Victoria as I call
mine) bookmarking will become your best friend.  The time jump option is
helpful too.

Sometimes, I mark down a small note so I can easily identify what
certain bookmarks are for.

A lot of this is figuring out what works for you.  You will develop your
own tools and methods as you progress.

And don't worry, skimming does not necessarily adversly affect your
grade.  It is all how you handle situation from situation, and also what
each instructor expects from you.

Bridgit

Message: 8