[nabs-l] what is Federationism

Kirt Manwaring kirt.crazydude at gmail.com
Tue May 3 22:26:30 UTC 2011

Chris,
  My philosophy is that being blind, if you have the propper training
and attitude, is just an inconvenience.  Not a debilitating disease,
and not some amazingly wonderful blessing-just a minor annoyance.  If
that's Federationism, I guess I'm a Federationist.  But I think you'll
be surprised how diverse the NFB is in terms of philosophy, the extent
which blindness shapes members' personal identity, opinions on various
issues and so forth.  I think the two things that basically every real
serious member of the Federation believes are (1) blindness can be a
mere inconvenience and (2) blind people are able to compete on equal
terms with sighted peers.  I also think the majority, although not
all, are in favor of legal action to make technology accessible, to
one level or another.
  Best regards,
Kirt