[nabs-l] Itunes and RFB app problem

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Fri May 6 16:33:09 UTC 2011

Kirt:

I'm afraid this will end up being somewhat of a tome but it's a subject worth attention.  I don't know how familiar you are with iTunes; I hope this post doesn't end up sounding condescending.

First, I recommend listening to Freedom Scientific's podcasts for December 2010 and January 2011.; I believe they're FSCast 49 and FSCast 50 (or is it 50 and 51?).  They deal with some elements of iTunes including navigation.  It's interface, while quite manageable, isn't quite the standard Windows fare one is used to.

To start with, the F6 key is your friend; it can quickly move you between what's called the "Source List", the "Search Box" and the items of interest, be they music items you have on your computer/iPod, radio stations or podcasts you've downloaded or subscribed to via iTunes etc.  I shall presume you've selected List View via Control+Shift+3 (where 3 is on the number pad at the top of the QWERTY keyboard).  The Source List will have all the items you've configured to show.  The top one is always Music (who has an iPod without music?).

Anyway, arrow down through the source List till you hear iTunes Store; then wait a second or two till the "blip" sound occurs which tells you that the store page is displayed.  Now keep arrowing down; you'll hear "Purchased" and, perhaps, "Purchased on Kirt's iPod" or whatever you've called it.  You'll get a window which (unless you've disabled it with the requisite checkbox) says something about what appears there but I forget since I don't listen to it; I just hit "OK".

Keep arrowing down; you'll get to a "Devices" tree view.  You'll see your iPod device.  Hit right-arrow to open it.

Start tabbing.  You'll hear a bunch of buttons controlling iTunes playback.  Eventually, you'll come to a button that says "Summary".  It is checked by default.  Keep tabbing till you hear a button that says "Apps".  Hit spacebar to check it.  You won't hear confirmation of this but if you hit "Say Line", you can hear that it's checked.  Now check till you hear a message that says "The Items Below have File sharing Capability" or something similar -- I'm not at my computer to check this.  Tabtill you hear a list of applications.  Arrow down til you hear "RFB&D Audio".  Now tab till you hear "Add".  Hit ENTER.  You'll be in a standard file specification dialog; what this looks like depends upon which version of Windows you are using.  Select the RFB&D book in its zipfile form.  Hit ENTER again and the book will be transferred.

This is just a sketch of the process; if you wish, I can call you on the phone over the weekend and demonstrate it for you or go over it with you.

HTH!

Mike