[nabs-l] An Article about another Student at Myy College

Jedi loneblindjedi at samobile.net
Fri May 6 17:27:09 UTC 2011

Kirt,

I'm going to sound like a total a-hole when I say this, so just be
prepared. I'm sorry you don't feel equal to the sighted by default, but
I don't think that's how the rest of us feel, nor should it be. If we
decide that we're not equal by default, we might as well pack it in and
forget why we're even federated in the first place. Jacobus tenbroek
and his supporters got together in 1940 because he thought we are
fundamentally equal to the sighted community despite the fact that we
do have the challenge of blindness. But he also points out, and that is
the point of Jernigan's Handicap or Characteristic, that there are
other challenges in life out there. Some of these challenges are more
significant than others, but they are challenges nonetheless. Think
about a poor person for example. They have to do a lot of
problem-solving to get their needs met. They also don't have access to
a lot of advantages that more well-off people have and probably won't
for some time. But does that mean they're not equal?

Just a thought.

Respectfully,
Jedi