[nabs-l] Launches EyeNoteâ„¢App to Help the Blind and Visually Impaired Denominate US Currency

Kirt Manwaring kirt.crazydude at gmail.com
Thu May 19 17:59:53 UTC 2011

Mike,
  Good point for sure.  Although I think there's a difference between
someone standing next to you in a line seeing you have a fifty dollar
bill in your hand and a decently loud voice, especially in a pretty
quiet room, announcing for everyone to hear, "fifty dollars!"  But I'd
get around that by wearing an earphone.  Even so, I can still see why
some people would just want the dang thing to vibrate.
  Sincerely,
Kirt

On 5/19/11, Mike Freeman <k7uij at panix.com> wrote:
> Why not as they can observe it anyway.
>
> Mike Freeman
> sent from my iPhone
>

> On May 19, 2011, at 9:42, <bookwormahb at earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>> Greg, I agree. I don't want anyone knowing I'm holding a $50 bill or
>> whatever.
>>

>> -----Original Message----- From: Greg Aikens
>> Sent: Thursday, May 19, 2011 1:29 AM
>> To: National Association of Blind Students mailing list
>> Subject: Re: [nabs-l] Launches EyeNoteâ„¢App to Help the Blind and
>> Visually Impaired Denominate US Currency
>>
>> I mean privacy in the sense that I don't care if Voiceover announces my
>> text messages or phone numbers in a crowded place, but I may not be
>> comfortable with the app announcing to the people around me that I am
>> holding a $50 or $100 bill in my hand.  That's just not a smart idea.
>>
>> -Greg
>>

>> On May 18, 2011, at 3:09 PM, Âris Nusbaum wrote:
>>
>>> I can imagine.  Haha, government was wrong again in thinking they can do
>>> everything better than the private sector.  * Smile! And really? You have
>>> to snap a picture for it to recognize the bill? * Frown! That's what I *
>>> hated * about the KNFB Reader Classic when NFBMD asked me to try out one
>>> of their first prototypes, which happened to be the model chosen.  Come
>>> on, people, the technology's already there! Just use it! About privacy,
>>> um..  headphones? If you're so worried about privacy, then you'd have the
>>> same problem with VoiceOver.
>>>
>>> Chris
>>>
>>> "A loss of sight, never a loss of vision!" (Camp Abilities motto)
>>>
>>> --- Sent from my BrailleNote

>>> application (app) to assist the blind and visually impaired denominate US
>>> currency.  The app is called EyeNote™.  EyeNote™ is a mobile device app
>>> designed for Apple iPhone (3G, 3Gs, 4), and the 4th Generation iPod Touch
>>> and iPad2 platforms, and is available through the Apple iTunes App Store.
>>>

>>> EyeNote™ uses image recognition technology to determine a note’s
>>> denomination.  The mobile device’s camera requires 51 percent of a note’s
>>> scanned image, front or back, to process.  In a matter of seconds,
>>> EyeNote™
>>> can provide an audible or vibrating response, and can denominate all
>>> Federal
>>> Reserve notes issued since 1996.  Free downloads will be available
>>> whenever
>>> new US currency designs are introduced.  Research indicates that more
>>> than
>>> 100,000 blind and visually impaired individuals could currently own an
>>> Apple

>>> http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nabs-l_nfbnet.org/kirt.craz

>>> http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nabs-l_nfbnet.org/k7uij%40p

>>> http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nabs-l_nfbnet.org/dotkid.nu