[nabs-l] An additional question about selecting universety

bookwormahb at earthlink.net bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Mon May 30 20:09:41 UTC 2011

Adriana,
I think anywhere you will have to educate the public you encounter.
That said this is my opinion.  My school was on the outskirts of a city--
Arlington.
The university shuttle took students to the nearest metro station.
IMO the advantage
of a big city such as Philadelphia is the transportation; more walkable
sidewalks, attractions in walking distance, and
of course more pedestrians out and about and you will be able to ask more
questions then.  Plus there is safety in numbers. You will be able to walk
up to a intersection and ask passers-by questions or what street you are at.
But in a little town or rural community, you do not have the pedestrian flow
or the traffic flow.  In small cities when  I attempted to do mobility it
was problematic. We are taught to listen to traffic, but in small
communities, you can stand for a long time at the intersection and
have little or no traffic to judge the light!  Personally, I don't like
running across the street in a gap of traffic! I want to judge the traffic
and ascertain the light.
In big cities such as DC, New York and Philadelphia, the traffic signals
also work on a fixed time. This means that they change lights at regular
intervals.  So for instance, pedestrians have 15 seconds to cross a  given
street and it stays that way. Now a days, many little cities/towns base
traffic signals on amount of traffic via a computer chip. So the heavier
vehicle traveled street has more time.
As a pedestrian, you would have to push a pedestrian button to get a walk
phase so the light changes for you to cross the street.
These are actuated signals and are more common in small communities.
Big cities are also a grid pattern and may make it easier to travel. I also
think that big cities or counties may  be more disabled friendly because
there are simply more people with disablities around to advocate for change.

So my opinion is there are more opportunities in a big city; but don't base
your decission totally on it; see about the course of study and other
barriers like transit you will be able to work out; such as cabs or car
pooling with friends.

Ashley