[nabs-l] What do you do when lost?

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 14 16:53:53 UTC 2011

While we certainly can learn how to travel and figure directions out on
our own, sadly, not all of us learn from great, or even competent,
travel instructors. I think we have to take this into consideration when
dealing with each other, and understand that blindness education isn't
just for the sighted world. If you've never been instilled with
confidence to be independent, it can take time to develop it. We should
be respectful to one another and cognizant of the reasoning as to why
some may not be as comfortable and confident with independence,
demonstrating competent, capable skills.

That being said, it's not difficult to know if people are near by, and
if entering a room or building that is initially quiet, asking if anyone
is available will help you discover if anyone is present. No need to
shout, but simply say it out loud. There are also many ways in which to
figure out what to do when lost, but we all, even sighted people, get so
turned around to the point where we just can't figure out which way to
go. There's nothing wrong with asking for directions.

Ringing the police should never be done unless you're in danger or hurt.
Sorry, I fail to see why tax payers money should go to pay for police to
come help give directions to a person. They have better things to do,
and unless you're in danger or hurt, and being lost is neither, don't
ring the police.

I will also say this: I admit that travel isn't always my forte. When
sighted, I was horrible with directions, and when driving, I learned how
to get places by landmarks, not cardinal directions. So once losing my
sight, it was a real struggle at first to travel nonvisually in some
ways. It honestly took me some time to adjust to paying attention to
things without it being an effort. I now just naturally pay attention to
those nonvisual cues, but I didn't automatically have this as an
instinctive reaction in the beginning. However, the more I got out and
practiced, the better I became, and the more comfortable I grew with
using nonvisual cues. I'll never be like those of you, and my hubby, who
can travel anywhere with little issue, figuring it all out immediately,
and I was never like this sighted either, but I now am much more
confident even when unsure of where to go, and those nonvisual cues are
second nature though it took time. Usually, I don't encounter huge
problems when on my own because I just got out there and learned.
Practice is the best method.

Sincerely,
Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter
Read my blog at: