[nabs-l] JAWS 11 vs. 12 with Windows 7

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 2 00:01:43 UTC 2011

Hi all,
Thanks for your help. I downgraded to JAWS 11 and actually like it
slightly better than 12, at least so far. I am using JAWS 11 with IE 9
and so far having no problems.
I love my netbook and use it as my primary computer, with an old Dell
laptop running Windows XP as my secondary computer. I can run all the
applications I normally use on my netbook (all of the Microsoft Office
suite, Internet, Outlook etc.) and really don't notice the slower
processor at all. It also works fine with JAWS and with a portable
Braille display. The main advantage for me is the lightweight, compact
design, not to mention the price (I think I spent about $400 including
accessories, vs. $1000 plus for a conventional laptop). The only thing
is that I'm noticing a slight bit of slowness in the Microsoft Office
2010 applications, which I don't know if that's due to the netbook
processor, JAWS compatibility or just to my not quite having learned
the new system. So I can't comment yet on how well Windows 7 runs on a
netbook, but I can say for sure that Windows XP will run just fine on
a netbook and I would recommend a netbook to any student in need of a
new computer, especially if you are on a budget, and I think voc rehab
could save thousands of dollars if they started buying netbooks for
blind students instead of those bulkier and much more expensive
laptops. That said, if anyone has had any disappointing experiences
with netbooks or noticed problems I haven't experienced, please do
contradict my enthusiasm.
HTH,
Arielle