[nabs-l] Lives Worth Living disability documentary to air

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 25 02:12:05 UTC 2011

Steve,

Yes, I agree with you. I think I've been misunderstood to an extent. I'm
very well aware that when it comes to disability rights in general,
blindness is still considered one of the "worse" disabilities, and our
causes and concerns are often pushed to the bottom of priority lists if
even listed at all. One of the reasons the Federation was established
solely focusing on blindness is for this very reason.

I'm in no way diminishing the work of Dr. Tembroek, or any other NFB
founder such as Dr. Jernigan, my point was to just explain that many
were involved in organizing and pushing for the equality and acceptance
of those with disabilities. We may not always work together, or
understand the other, but individually, many have participated in this
movement.

Sadly, we've struggled as blind consumers and tend to have to fight even
among other disabilities. As I stated, I've done no extensive research
on Ed Roberts or this entire topic in general, and if this documentary
doesn't spend time, or completely omits, the presence of the blind
community especially focusing on the NFB founders, it will be a shame
and a huge quiet statement that blindness holds no place of equality
even among the general disability independence movement.

I had to work with a man who was a paraplegic for a speaking engagement
planned by the Disability Awareness office I worked for during college.
His idea of independence reflected my own, and I was excited to meet
him. His message was powerful and very similar to the one the Federation
teaches. Imagine my surprise when he, a man not in control of his entire
body, was shocked that I, who just had  no use of my eyes, could
"function as well as I do." This threw a wet sock in my opinion of this
man and his independent spirit. It was a real wake-up call. I went into
this encounter with an open mind and no preconceived notions, and yet
this man already bought into the old perceptions about my disability.
Not that he didn't believe me when I spoke of the abilities of the
blind, but he came into the situation already with certain ideals
obviously not intending his message to include all disabilities.

So I understand, and agree to an extent, why an organization like the
Federation works as it's own entity choosing to not actively work much
with other disability organizations. This seems like an unfortunate
reality on the part of other entities working for the disability rights
movement. And I've stated more than once that the Federation has done
the most for people who are blind, and without the Federation and it'
leaders, our world would be very different even with people like Ed
Roberts out there.

Again, my only point was to display that when discussing disability in
general, others have, and still do,  work to achieve an independent and
positive mindset in society. I find it incredibly naïve to state that
the Federation alone, emphasis on alone, was the leader in the
disability rights movement. This statement doesn't imply that the
Federation some how has no place in the movement or that it wasn't a big
powerhouse player in the movement. Nor am I suggesting that founders
like Tembroek or Jernigan weren't on the same par as Ed Roberts. To read
my posts and interpret them as diminishing the role of the Federation is
to focus on a perceived idea of what I'm saying and not realizing that
I'm not excluding anyone from this discussion, but merely adding those
who have, in their own ways, been equal players in the disability rights
movement. I'm only attempting to show a wider picture displaying the
various people who were involved in inacting change leading to a
disability rights movement at all.

Sincerely,
Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter
Read my blog at: