[nabs-l] BANA still considering abolishing the Nemeth braille code

Patrick Molloy ptrck.molloy at gmail.com
Sat Sep 10 23:04:23 UTC 2011

Evening all:
What exactly is the problem with the Nemeth Code that it needs to be
abolished? It would seem far more efficient to just keep the same
thing that we've always used, rather than drop Nemeth, create
something new, and have everyone have to re-learn everything. If it's
not broken, don't fix it. That said, I don't have the full story in
front of me. What exactly would the new code be? Would it be a
combination of Nemeth and something else, like literary Braille? Or
would it be something entirely new? I'm very curious to hear more
about this and see where it goes.
Patrick