[nabs-l] Wanting to be off the 9/11 thread

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 00:26:48 UTC 2011

Hi all,
This list is dedicated to discussing blindness-related issues,
particularly those most relevant to blind students and blind
youth-discussions of access, blindness training, blindness philosophy,
etc. We have always worked hard to keep the scope of list discussions
restricted to blindness matters in order to control the volume of
email on the list and in order to maximize the amount of
blindness-relevant information that is shared. If we opened the list
up to political and religious debates, TV shows, musicians or
discussion of other popular topics unrelated to blindness, the volume
of email would skyrocket and only a small percentage of the emails
exchanged would actually be about blindness. Consequently, the list
wouldn't achieve its purpose and many subscribers would be
disappointed by the relative lack of blindness-related content. The
discussion about air travel as it pertains to blindness was on point,
but the side conversation about 9/11, Fox News vs. MSNBC, etc. had
nothing to do with blindness and should not have continued as it did.
We can, however, discuss topics that are controversial and have
debates-as long as the topic of the debate has to do with blindness.
That's the key distinction here. The other issue, which has been
raised here recently, is that debates need to be conducted in a
respectful manner free from personal attacks.
Best,
Arielle Silverman, Former NABS Listserv Chair and Former NABS President