[nabs-l] Question for blind students

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 20 05:01:07 UTC 2012

Hi Osmond,
Good luck with the presentation. Is this a department wide thing or what?
I wish I had such an opportunity because I feel I have to educate one
professor every time I have a class and an overview of accomodations
beforehand would help their awareness.

Let them know the challenges and solutions. I'd echo everyone else. A huge
challenge is handouts / lecture outlines in accessible format. Sending them
ahead of time before class would help; often these are in powerpoint or
word. Also, during class, not knowing what is on the board is a challenge.
Professors need to read aloud  what they write on the board. Finally, access
to electronic material that increasingly is out there, even though its not
an online class is a challenge. Things like PDF images, images with no
description which is called alt text. The use of inaccessible
website features whether on blackboard or a course website is a problem.
Flash content is one.
So is adobe flash; and not to mention google docs.

Good luck.
Ashley