[nabs-l] Best OCR Apps for the iPhone?

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 01:09:38 UTC 2012

Hi all,
I got an iPhone about two months ago and I have heard there are some
good apps for reading printed text (mail, handouts etc.) Do any of you
have suggestions regarding the most reliable OCR apps to get? One
issue I have is that I have really bad aim when taking photos with a
phone camera, so I would like to get one that is highly accurate
and/or that provides viewfinder feedback.
I have heard that VizWiz (an app that will send a photo of something
to a human reader who will send back a translation within a few
minutes) is good, but I would like to use a software app so I don't
have to wait.
Apologies if this is slightly off-topic, but I figured that many blind
students have iPhones and could benefit from having a free or low-cost
app to use when reading in-class handouts and other printed documents.
Thanks for any assistance!
Best,
Arielle