[nabs-l] Taking a Course in Chinese

Hannah Chadwick sparklylicious at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 16:11:40 UTC 2012

Benn,
Thank you for the insight.
Best, Hannah

-----Original Message-----
From: nabs-l-bounces at nfbnet.org [mailto:nabs-l-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf
Of Ben J Bloomgren
Sent: Wednesday, August 29, 2012 10:39 PM
To: National Association of Blind Students mailing list
Subject: Re: [nabs-l] Taking a Course in Chinese

Hanna,

That's why I wrote my initial message to you. I fear that you're going into
this giant's backyard in ignorance. Please know that I am not flaming you by
any means. I'm not even trying to sound rude, but I don't want you to run
into a buzz saw in class when they're studying Chinese characters while
you're wondering about an "alphabet." Chinese does not have an alphabet in
the same way in which English does. The characters express words or parts of
words, and their meaning and pronunciation must be learned from memory. I'm
not trying to scare you off, but it takes the average native-born Chinese
student upwards of five years to master the system. There is Pinyin, which
is a way to write Mandarin Chinese in regular letters, but that's not how
the Chinese public does things. Again, please know that I'm not attempting
to start a flame war. I probably sound very arrogant and rude, but I'm just
trying to get you to the best experience possible with this tiger of a group
of languages. If you wish to email me off list, please do so:
bbloomgren at me.com or on twitter at http://twitter.com/blindbirder

Sincerely,

Ben