[nabs-l] Blind Teachers

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 5 01:50:44 UTC 2012

Hi Robert,
Yes there are teachers out there. You might want to join the blind educators
list which is also on the www.nfbnet.org site.
You might also want to contact the president of the Nobe division, national
organization of blind educators.
She will want a mentor based on her field of study. The challenges will vary
widely based on the subject and age group of children or adults. If teaching
elementary age kids, classroom management is a challenge. She will need to
develop techniques for classroom management without vision. If teaching high
school, you still need to manage them, but those students should be more
mature. If teaching college or beyong, classroom management isn't much an
issue; students have to behave or they can be asked to leave.

The other two challenges are technology barriers and attitudinal barriers.
As you may know, technology is becoming more prevelant at all grade levels
and with that comes inaccessibility as a student or a teacher. Finally, not
many officials give blind teachers a chance so that is an issue.

I actually wanted to teach, but got discourage by the attitudes I faced in
my education class and the workload for it. But it is doable. From what I've
heard teachers are better received at the college level; another option is
being self employed where you don't answer to anyone; like running your own
home school or tutoring service. My point being teaching is a great field,
but it doesn't have to mean sending out endless amounts of resumes and being
rejected year after year. You can use teaching skills in other areas.

HTH.
Ashley