[nabs-l] Sex Education Curriculum

Stephanie H. DeLuca sjhhirst at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 02:44:17 UTC 2012

I've been reading this thread and have a few comments:
1) I think this is a valid topic of conversation for this list, so long as
we can proceed in a civil and intelligent manner.
2) I think sex education is very important - for everyone.  It has been
stated that humans don't need to be further educated in matters of sex, but
I would have to disagree.  We probably don't have to learn about HOW to
have sex, but there are lot of implications - namely, unsafe sex is  HUGE
public health issue.  We need to focus on teaching people the implications
of having unsafe sex and TEACH them HOW to have SAFE sex.  I am not a
proponent of abstinence-only education, as people will always have
pre-marital sex and have been doing so since the dawn human existence.  The
question is, how can we educate people to proceed in a safe manner and
avoid STDs, pregnancy, and emotional damage?  This is not an issue just for
the blind and VI, but for everyone.
3) I think someone made a good point about how the blind and VI need better
access to what sex education is available already. For example, there are
anatomically accurate and useful 3D models of various body parts. These are
often used in biology classes and in med schools.  I think these could be a
very useful, non-offensive way of presenting the material.  Further, they
could be used to teach people how to put on a condom, for example. This is
important, regardless of if you're planning on having sex before or after
marriage. A lot of sex ed is not really about anatomy, however.  This
information can take the form of graphs and charts, open discussion with
teachers and peers, and reading assignments.
4) I think the use of words such as penis and vagina are perfectly fine, as
they are anatomically accurate and informative.  We shouldn't be afraid of
stating what these things are.  Part of sex education is to get people to
feel that they can talk about it.  This is important if, for example,
someone is being sexually harassed or abused.  If we are ashamed of talking
about sex and the body parts involved, how can information be passed on?
5) I took the survey in less than 20 minutes and think it ca be potentially
useful.  It's not offensive or graphic, so don't be afraid to fill it out.

In the field of observation, chance favors only the prepared mind.
    ~Louis Pasteur, lecture 1854