[nabs-l] Writing Skills

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 13 14:52:59 UTC 2012

Deb,
What was your major and just what are your weaknesses? Your question is
general. But I'll say that yes many college grads are poor writers. As I
said in my last email, they do not teach you how to write well in college.
Grammar is no longer taught in grade school or college; well, my freshman
professor addressed a little, but hardly. Writing techniques were only
taught in english. Due to the fact that english composition is only required
for two classes typically, many students do not polish their writing skills.
Another issue is the reliance  on multiple choice exams these days; even
short answer exams do not force you to write and think much. So, it’s the
educational system to some extent.

No, its not just you with poor writing skills. We all need improvement. So
I'm sure you can improve with some help. Reading about writing techniques as
well as just reading articles in your disipline will help.

Ashley