[nabs-l] Computers

Bill cassonw at gmail.com
Sat Jul 14 05:45:52 UTC 2012

The way to disable it varies between each model.  Some it will be fn+
one of the numbers or funtion keys, others it will be a touch button
somewhere around the top of your keyboard.  My mom's HP you disable
the touchpad by holding down on one of the corners of the touchpad.  I
would recommend googling it or reading the manual.  The manual would
be the best route, but we all know how much fun reading manuals is.

You will find that everyone has had good experiences or bad
experiences with x brand, so it is hard to really tell from this.  For
example, I had toshiba's, had no problem with them.  The dell desktops
we've had are somewhat reliable.  The dell laptop my friend had, had
the motherboard replaced twice and the harddrive somewhere around 6 or
8 times.  My HP is solid, I have had it for 2.5 years and it works
close to how it did when the state bought it for me.  Though it is
worth noting here that my HP is a professional system and HP seems to
build these a bit better than the consumer systems.

I would concentrate on good specs and wory less about the brand.  Take
close note of all the software you run, and figure out the
requirements for those pieces of software.  Usually somewhere on the
site of the software or on the box it will have the system
requirements.  I would be sure to get a system with this as the very
minimum, but would probably recommend going a little better on each
one.  As a general rule, if I were you, I would avoid anything being
promoted as a netbook as these systems are notoriously underpowered
and will probably not be able to run your assistive technology and
another program concurrently.  Though as noted above, specs are what
really matters.  Feel free to email me offlist if you have any other
questions.
HTH,
Bill

--