[nabs-l] If or where to include center training on a jobapplication.

William Grussenmeyer wdg31415 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 21 08:27:04 UTC 2012

I don't think the problem is your resume at all.  8 month gap means
nothing really.  I had 5 year gap of unemployment on my resume.  It
looked really bad and some guy even asked about it over the phone.  I
didn't tell him about being blind or doing rehab really slowly over 2
or 3 years.  I didn't like the sound of the guy anyway and didn't want
to work for him.
  But I got some very good jobs despite the recession and bad resume.
  The mistake you are making is simply submitting applications or
sending in resumes.  They don't even look at all the apps or resumes.
To get the job I am currently working at I looked up their
information, learned about them, sent them an email asking to talk to
them on the phone (if I had more courage I could have just called
because their phone numbers are listed on the website).  I told them I
liked their work and where they worked at and wanted to know more
about working there.  I had all ready submitted an application but
they told me that if I had not called they probably would never seen
my app in the database.  They just look up what they can and don't go
through the full ppool of resumes.  They were happy to talk to me and
were looking for interns.  So it was great and I got the job that way.
  I got my previous job from a friend who recommended me to someone he
used to work for who was looking for interns but didnt want to post
the job opening.  She wanted word of mouth recommendaitons instead of
interviewing endless people on the street.
  The best way to get a job I learned from a career counselor is to
simply call them up or email them (make sure you research them some so
you know what you are talking about) and simply introduce yourself.
Networking is the best, fastest way to get a job.  Tell everyone you
know you are looking for a job and the story of your job search --
even telling people when you make random small talk at starbucks could
end up landing you a job.  You never know.  Call people, email people,
meet people, make friends etc. is far better than submitting
applications which is a waste of time mostly.
  For me actually calling people and talking to them was terrifying
and took a lot of courage.  But it got me what I needed.

There is some more information at the following website which is
written by the career counselor who I took a class from.  She counsels
engineering and computer science fields but really it applies to all
jobs.
The website is http://www.seriousjobseeker.com/

--Bill