[nabs-l] mall travel and shops

Nicole B. Torcolini at Home ntorcolini at wavecable.com
Tue Mar 6 06:39:25 UTC 2012

JMHO, it is best to know the layout of the mall before you go. I find
tactile maps helpful. I usually plan what stores I want to go to. I then try
to go in that general direction and I ask for help if needed. Using floor
texture is not reliable, especially if you are using a guide dog and not a
cane.
If you don't benefit from tactile maps, you could ask someone to write down
the locations of stores. For example, if you come in door X and turn in
direction Y, the first store on your right is A, the next is B, and so on
with details like A has N number of entrances.
One thing that you can sometimes use is music. Some stores play really
distinctive music, but that does not always work, especially if there is a
lot of noise, and it certainly does not work around Christmas because *all*
of them are playing Christmas music.