[nabs-l] Am I the only one?

Jewel herekittykat2 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 18:25:17 UTC 2012

Dear Joshua and all,
First, I have had the problem you talk about, Joshua. It is well known
around our campus that sometimes if you press the button for
strawberry-melon, you'll get fruit punch. So I don't use that machine,
instead going to a snack machine that always has my strawberry-melon
in slots 45, 46, and 47, and use that one instead (Yes, our campus has
a lot more juices and the like available than many campuses).

Now on to the other part of this topic. My group, TACTICS, which is a
group for disability dadvocacy and education, is in the process of
getting Braille labels on the soda machines around campus. We were
told we need to go thru the vendor who fills them, since the machines
are their property. We haven't had much luck doing this and are very
close to just putting Braille labels on the machines and seeing what
happens. As for the snack machines, as others said, the snacks change,
so labelling or having a 'menu' is not possible. We simply ask for
assistance from sighted peers. Sometimes that ends in a good chat, so
it's not a bad thing *grin*

My two cents,
Jewel