[nabs-l] curing blindness

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 1 02:00:31 UTC 2012

Laurel,
Makes sense. I'm not sure what I'd do. I think getting full sight would be
too overwelming, but I might take something to improve my vision.
If I did opt for  a treatment to obtain some more usable vision, like you,
I'd certainly still use alternative techniques. I am never going to try and
pass; I'd put my safety first. I think that guy in the story was nuts to
walk around outside without a cane given the limited nature of what he saw.
He was lucky he did not get hurt. And then,  he probably used blindness
skills at work such as a screen reader because that artificial vision could
not help him read  documents. What mixed messages that would send.

What I think would be very helpful about having better vision is being able
to read print comfortabily. I have tunnel vision now and can read some signs
but not the other info as I walk around; well, sometimes I can read a
directory as I walk into a building depending on the lighting and size.
Anyway, things like bus schedules, brochures, magazines, menus outside
restaurants, and ads in the community as I walk around are not available to
me. This assists in learning about the world from seeing an ad about a
product, to the new restaurant menu outside the door, to the brochure or
tourbook about the  city. I'd really like to avail myself of such info; sure
I can take a booklet or menu or whatever and scan it at home, but its not
the same as instant access. So, I think this would be a huge advantage to
regaining more vision. Unlike those of you who wrote in, I have some vision,
so I'm used to seeing some things and can even read print. If I still needed
a cane, I'd sure use it. But I'd also have the other visual info available
to me such as signs and landmarks which would aid me in both learning about
the surroundings and getting around.

Ashley