[nabs-l] Getting Drivers?

Greg Aikens gpaikens at gmail.com
Sun Oct 14 22:46:43 UTC 2012

Ah, I didn't realize that this new town was in another country…

I made extensive use of cabs while studying in Spain.  Like everything else about studying abroad, it was challenging at first  but I got the hang of it quickly.  The ease with which you make use of cabs in another country may depend on your fluency in the native language.  You will at least need to know how to clearly say the name of your destination, and understand numbers up to 20 or 30 to understand what the fair is.  It would also help to be able to describe a couple of key landmarks near your destination if they have difficulty with the address, but that is above and beyond.

As far as payment goes, if you are in a European country, you will find that the euros are far more accessible than our dollars and knowing what you are giving a driver is far easier.

What Arielle said about letting them know ahead of time to identify themselves because you cant see them is good advice.  Some companies always call when they arrive, but it doesn't hurt to mention it.  I also take that opportunity to let them know I will be traveling with my Seeing Eye dog because I have run into some access issues recently with drivers who tried to refuse taking the dog.  I just find it easier to be up front from the beginning so that no one can complain I was trying to deceive them etc.

Anyway, hope this helps.

-Greg