[nabs-l] having a hard time fitting in at church

Heather Field missheather at comcast.net
Wed Sep 19 23:36:57 UTC 2012

Hello Andrew,
The issue that you are experiencing, with regard to being included in a
social group of young people who don't know you, is the same that blind
people experience everywhere. The difference here is that, because you're
going to church, your expectations are different.

Tyler seems to be expressing the same different expectation. For some
reason, both of you seem to be expecting that, just because these people go
to church, they will somehow not have the same stereotypes, strange ideas
and hesitations as the people you meet at college, the store or on the bus.
Whether or not they believe in God and go to church, or they meet at the
local surf club or roller-skating rink, young people are usually cliquey and
not good at including blind people.

They don't know you and they don't receive the same eye-contact, smiles etc.
that they do when making friends with a new sighted person so, they don't
know what to do. Like most people, they take the easy way out and do
nothing. If you want this to change, you will need to be proactive.
Depending on the size of your church and the consequent size of the youth
group, or group for young adults, your strategies will vary.

Before I go on, let me tell you my story. I've been going to churches for
over 30 years and I've attended all sorts of churches in both Australia and
America. In every church, when the offering plate and the communion trays
are passed, the ushers have passed me by and given them to the person next
to me. this is because I don't see them holding them out to me and nor do I
respond to their attempt at eye-contact. Sometimes, if the people sitting
beside me don't know me they will simply pass the trays straight on down the
row and ignore me. Is this because they're bad Christians? No, they just
haven't got a clue about what to do to interact with blind people.

In every case, if I'll be attending the church for a while, I seek out the
pastor and I get him to introduce me to the person who coordinates the
teams. I talk to them about how they need to instruct the ushers to gently
touch my hand with the tray to alert me they are there. I explain that the
average blind people want to put something in the offering plate just as
often as the average sighted person and that it is discriminatory practice
to leave them out. This solves the problem. I'm currently at a new church
and I'm about to have this very conversation with the pastor next week.

As for making friends in a new church, I can assure you that it won't happen
on a Sunday morning. I would call the church office and speak to the person
who coordinates the young adults group. Explain that you'd like to become
part of the group and find out when it meets. Organise to be at that meeting
and ask the leader if you can have 10 minutes to introduce yourself and
briefly discuss the topic of blindness. Let them know that you're an
ordinary guy, studying and living life, and that you'd like to make some
friends. Lay the simple ground rules for how you'd like to be treated. For
example, explain why you don't want people grabbing you by the arm or
shoulders and propelling you ahead of them. Express your preference and
explain that different blind people have different preferences and tell them
yours. For example, whether you want people to tell you their name every
time they come up to you or not and, whether you like to take someone's arm
when you walk with them?
Let them ask questions and answer frankly when appropriate. Be sure to have
some means of taking down phone numbers with you.
Ask people who'd be willing to go out to lunch, dinner, a movie etc. with
you to please come and give you their numbers after the meeting. Then, take
down names and numbers and you be the one to call and organise things.

I guarantee you have lots of friends and and plenty of things to do in no
time. And, remember that you are in a special position to exhibit the fruits
of the spirit. Patience, kindness, self-control, long-suffering, love. All
these are required when dealing with those who don't understand blindness
and the way it does and doesn't effect blind people. It doesn't matter
whether they are Christians or not. You are the one being called to step out
in faith here because the sighted, Christian or not, need your mercy and
forgiveness. It's not their fault that they don't know what to do. That's
why we work so hard to educate them. You have a perfect opportunity to
change the culture of your whole church. I look forward to hearing about
your successes.
Best,
Heather