[nabs-l] NFB and Independence

Sam Nelson samnelson1 at verizon.net
Thu Apr 11 05:07:15 UTC 2013

Hi Arielle,
 Thanks for sharing all this! It's a very  balanced perspective. My
therapist taught me this word today, dialectic. It means two  things that at
first seem opposite can exist at the same time. I think this illustrates
that.
  And I agree with Robert. Considering the trade-offs involved is part of
making the decision to come here at least it  was for me. One sacrifice for
me for example, is that coming here I had to leave my cat behind. I honestly
don't know if I'll ever  see him again. If I had stayed in MA one option I
could have chosen was a  shared living program where I was matched with a
companion, sort of a one on one Friedman type thing. But  the matching
process might have taken a year or more and I absolutely could not have
waited that long at my parents and the sacrifice for different friends to
take me would have been too much on them and I also wouldn't want to put
that on them.
 In shared living I would have been allowed to have pets. Here unfortunately
we aren't. However, sometimes it takes being creative. I have found a couple
of visiting pet therapy programs that take cats to places like Friedman and
am researching them in order to present a case to activities about having
them come here maybe a couple times a month or something. Especially if it's
free they'll probably do it. I could also go to an animal shelter to
volunteer though I worry about being possibly scratched by random cats that
might have diseases or something. I would think the pet therapy cats would
be healthy but you never know in a shelter.
 Though they're rare I could one day get a service cat if I wanted to and
make the case that it helps with mental health issues I have.
 I will say the spending money is a big thing for some people. But at least
for my personal situation even having less spending money is worth it. With
where I live providing food/ cleaning, and what we pay them covering
everything else, you  know electric/ rent/ all that, there isn't really much
I feel I need to buy. You learn to save, and sometimes unexpected and
amazing things happened.
 Doing therapy type things is very important for me to have some kind of
emotional balance and outlits. In college I was used to being able to pay a
reasonable price for this and was fine with it.
 I happened to write to a dance therapist  who's website I really resonated
with. I was just writing admiring her website. I said in passing that  I'd
probably work with her if I had the money. Because she's amazing she offered
me at first, three sessions for free. Because we connected so well, and
because she's so goodhearted  she's extended this to seeing me once a month.
In adition I found a place I can go to once a week with an intern for $10/
session which works for me. She's very good. So I feel things have a way of
working out in unexpected ways.
 I do do my own laundry myself by the way, that I was taught to do and it
stuck. Other things I was sort of taught to do and they just didn't take
hold, like cooking. It was just  too anxiety producing I think for both me
and my family equally, you know the stove and the oven and all that. So I'm
good with the sacrifice of not being able to choose exactly what I want to
eat every day. At college my roomates and I really didn't clean the room
much. I really like having housekeeping services because at least I know
once a week everything will be nice and clean. And the housekeeper has this
cute accent and says "I love you honey," every time she  sees  me, and that
brightens my day!
 I should say, if I haven't already, that within the community in different
ways the CNAS do encourage independence and doing things for ourselves. This
one CAN always bugs me about picking up my room. I know of a resident who
when he first got here had the CNAS take him everywhere around the building.
Eventually he's gotten to the point where he can go some places himself and
that's a big step for him. I know it probably doesn't seem like as much
training as  the training centers or other places, but I wanted to point it
is emphasized in some way.
 I totally agree with you about offering more supportive living communities,
for all types of  populations being a good thing. I personally wouldn't say
that other populations need it more than the blind, but I can see from your
perspective how you would think of it like that. I do think more places need
to be out there, particularly for people with  mental health concerns. At
the moment in Chicago, many of these people are in psychiatric nursing
homes, that for the most part quite honestly sound like pretty terrible
places. And yet nothing gets done about this. One of my future projects is
discussing this with NAMI or some other related organization. So hopefully
one day we'll get there!
 Again thanks for your thoughts.
 Sam