[nabs-l] Good community colleges in the midwest?

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 22 19:58:27 UTC 2013

Hi all,

I'm having a heck of a time getting set up with a community college
for summer courses.  I did a tech prep program in high school and
received a scholarship for a free three credit hour class at this
particular school.  Over the past few weeks I've had a lot of trouble
getting set up there with disability services and transient student
services.  I managed to skirt around the disability issue (I changed
the course I planned to take from human anatomy to social psychology
because I was worried the disability people wouldn't be able to
produce the tactile diagrams) but the transient student person who is
my advisor isn't helping much, and overall I'm finding a lot of the
people I talk to to be extremely rude and not helpful... I get the run
around a lot... get automatically transfered to the ds office no
matter what I'm asking the person on the phone to tell me if I just
bring up disability services or that I'm blind... and it's very
difficult to get simple information about documents making it through
the mail to them and getting to the right person and the like.  They
seem to be having a lot of trouble accomodating my multiple attributes
which make me a non-traditional student, (something other than
learning disabled, attending a 4-year school and not going there as my
main school, already enrolled because of the tech prep program but not
actually a transcripted student since I haven't taken courses there
yet).  It's also ffrustrating for me because the college I'm coming
from is much more organized and the people are much more helpful.
(They'll set up automatic generated emails to let you know documents
were received, are very helpful on the phones, and are pretty much a
total contrast to the community college I'm trying to get into.  My
university has definitely spoiled me.

I fully intend to use this scholarship, even if I never go back to
this community college again because there is no sense in letting a
free class go to waste.  However, as my original plans for school
involved taking courses over each summer I am wondering if anyone goes
to or has attended a good community college in the midwest.  I'm in
southern Ohio so if anyone has attended another Ohio, Kentucky,
Indiana, community colleges and had success with their disability
services, transfering credits back to a 4-year school, or both, please
let me know.  (I plan to look into the colleges in my city as well,
but I'm just trying to get a broader scope of what might be out there
because I've gotten some mixed reviews on the community colleges
around me from sighted students and have no idea what their disability
services are like yet.  I've also heard from sighted students that
this particular school is awesome and as a disabled student I'm
finding that to not really be the case for me, so I'm also hesitant to
take the word of sighted students who don't necessarily have to be as
in depth in setting up logistics for their schooling.

Any feedback would be awesome.

--
Kaiti