[nabs-l] Research: Representation of blindness in literature

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 24 02:55:45 UTC 2013

Hi,

I don't know of anything specifically Swedish, but I've seen several
depictions of blindness depicted in English literature.  There is one
book called, "Hannah," where a blind girl wants to go to school.  She
seems super dependent in there to me, but the book is also set in the
19th century so back then that might have been more common.  In the
end she participates in some sort of harvesting contest to try to
raise money to buy a brailler, and when she can't fathom how she's won
she finds that the town kept putting their picked fruits/vegitables in
her basket instead of their own.  There is also a book I've come
across called, "From Charlie's Point of View, although I haven't
really read it.

On 4/23/13, Leye-Shprintse <leyeshprintse at ymail.com> wrote:
> BS"D
>
> Dear NABS,
>
> I'm a blind student and it's time for me to start writing my thesis. I've
> chosen to write about the representation of blindness in Swedish children's
> and youth literature. I wonder if you've some ideas where I can rasearch
> information to my thesis, do you know if someone else have written about
> this subject? I think it's a very important subject but since Swedish isn't
> a big language I can't find so much information here. I'm happy for all
> ideas you can give me! It feels so big to write a thesis so I'm a bit
> overwhelmed! Forgive my bad English!
>
> Kind regards,
> Leye-Shprintse
>
> Envoyé de mon iPad